Wednesday 28 January 2009

British Gas: oh dear, oh dear

Rather than repeat coverage like that in the Mirror of the recent price drop, this is more of a case of how not to treat a customer ... when it would have been so easy to create an advocate rather than a detractor. It's an edited version of a recent blog I did on the Geronimo website (where I work, by the way).

Most of you will recognise this tale. Get first winter utility bill and say “How much? The thieving little … (sound of bleeps)”. So immediately onto the price comparison sites. Actually find out that I would save most with British Gas … slightly unusual as I am BG dual fuel customer!!! Apparently I am on the wrong tariff – which is confirmed by their call centre.

C’mon people, if this information is in the public domain … then how long do you think it’s gonna take for your customers to find out! And guess what …“ Taxi”. I’m off to someone else … even if it costs me a little more.

A thought on how they could have created an advocate:

What about BG approaching me in November offering to do a tariff review … so “go on-line and let’s see if we can ensure you’re on the right tariff” – even if it’s done on a test size to prove/disprove business case. So they’re proactive, customer-centric, and pre-empt the inevitable price comparison search ... but with more control rather reacting to an ill-tempered customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment